Oh for crying out loud. There have been countless critical views expressed about Dylan over the years, particularly about his middle years. And I for one don't venerate anybody. And I don't know of anyone else who 'venerates' Dylan either - most people I know, like me, have very mixed and complicated feelings and opinions about Dylan (if they have any - there are some who don't because what he does has never appealed to their sensors, which is fair enough - and some hate his voice, which is understandable, the Marmite metaphor etc.)- he's been around so long and there is such variance in the quality of the output.

I've read many stories about Dylan ever since the 60's that have given me the impression that he might not be a 'nice' man. I have no idea how true they are but the point is I don't care - that's got nothing to do with me and certainly nothing to do with what I think of the work. What are his politics? I haven't the faintest idea, and actually I find that quite refreshing. It is true that there is a side to Dylan that I don't share, his theism, particularly with its ideas of redemption etc., but apart from his preachy Slow Train period that has never stopped my appreciation - the same applies to many American singer-songwriters - if we only ever went for the art of those who share our beliefs (or whatever) there would not be much to read look at or listen to.

And remember that the whole of the rock and music business is just that, business - there is no other artform that is so closely entangled with cash and extra-artistic conditions and restraints. Dylan is just one among thousands who has had to deal with that. No choice - to get to do what you want to do you just have to go with it. Remember who his manager was at the time of the Isle of Wight? A crook basically, we know, we know this stuff.

Cheers

Tim