So that's why you call it code-switching in America.  Less chance of being shot.

But I'd want to draw a distinction between the two: register-jumping involves a
switch between a variety of registers already available as part of the speaker's
idiolect(s?), whereas code switching involves the adoption of a form of speech
native to another group (or the same person wearing a different identity, in a
different context).

Dunno.  I've been told there's no difference between the two, but my gut tells
me there is.

Something like that.  I'm still thinking my way through it.

But now you've warned me, I'll be sure to avoid register-jumping when I'm in
God's Own Land.

Or have I just jumped the shark?

TTFN

Robin