Probably.  I certainly haven't.  (And have no intention of doing so, though your hat-tip to Otway makes me look lingeringly in that direction.)

Centilevre, I've only read The Basset Tables, and even that only because I had to teach it.  I wasn't interested at the time, and at this distance I can't remember, but was there any Sharper's Jargon there, or in any of her other plays, or indeed any in this period?  Cant and Criminal Argot are less likely in this context to be there, but ... there's a huge gaping 18thC sized hole in my head, as you know, Mark, when it comes to plays in that period, and I'm damned if I'm going to embark on a sustained course of what would no doubt be good for my soul, but time presses, etc., reading.

So if you know of any play where the characters show signs of carrying Cotton's Compleat Gamester under their wig or concealed behind a fan, could you let me know?  Pretty please...

Robin

On 26 October 2016 at 01:57 Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

He was a god-awful poet. Am I the only one on the list who's read his Gondibert?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Frazer<[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Oct 25, 2016 7:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Marlowe-speare

Wasn’t WS Davenent’s godfather? (I’m aware of the by-law claim btw.)

Tony

On 25 Oct 2016, at 22:56, Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I've mentioned Davenant before, who claimed circa 1660ish to be Shakespeare's bastard, which he certainly wasn't, but the claim conferred status (tho maybe not to his mom). And I'm willing to bet that Shakespeare was the most performed (and deformed) earlier English playwright in the Restoration, with nary a word about Oxford, etc.