I suppose most solo artists & bands have about two or three great albums in them looking back at the sixties icons. The Beatles span was short but very little poor quality work. The Who had a superb start but seemed burned out by 1968. Then The Rolling Stones peaked on Aftermath" & "Between The Buttons" in their Decca years. Dylan's three classic albums from "Bringing It All Back Home" to "Blonde on Blonde" were masterpieces. To repeat that standard a task beyond any artist but I love "Self Portrait" & the Nashville albums. A case could be made that Dylan has reinvented himself many times as Madonna does and Bowie did. The Kinks had one gem after another before Ray Davies went down the concept road. To do a full Dylan list of personal favourites would entail a lot of revision but I will give it a shot. I have no problem with his religous phase and the Vineyard Fellowship have a place of worship not far from here.

The problem back then was ruthless managers + the concept & rock opera brigade overcooking the fare. But I recall sitting in the foyer of Dublin Airport waiting on three German poets with a fairly well known English poet. A delay meant more chat time and the poet made a point that many poets write the same poem over & over. This could be valid also with regard to rock music or any form of the creative arts. Subject matter can grow scarce as the years pass and of course there are exceptions like George Oppen.

This brings up the issue of a cut off point which happened to The Beatles. In more tragic circumstances Frank O' Hara if he lived may have altered course in his poetics?  Had John Lennon lived he would have gone into new areas & before he died in Playboy he debunked the live concert.

Turn that frown upside down