Then there are the ones who simply step out of the frame, at the height of their success.  Bobby Gentry, most obviously, but also Barry Blue.

Barry Blue, if anyone remembers him at all, is noticed for "Dancing on a Saturday Night", but right at the end, just before he drops virtually out of sight (in the days before google), he wrote two killer songs, "Paid At the Gate" and "Queen of Hearts".

And no one noticed.

So I have this image of him thinking to himself, "I write all this crap and it gets to No. 1, then I write two songs the way I always wanted to, and ... Well, sod that for a joke.  I'm out of here."

Not that he's short of a penny, I think, these days, but no longer the Barry Blue of old.  And no more songs like "Paid at the Gate".

:-(

Robin