Good question, dave, but I for one haven't got a quick answer.  It's certainly possible to locate the beginning of the ...  Actually, I was about to raise a name when I suddenly thought, maybe earlier.

Then you've got the instantiation of Shakespeare as The Playwright by Garrick, well before the Academy sticks a spoon into the pudding.  And probably the currency of English (as opposed to Latin/Greek) texts in Working Men's Institutions, and then the rise of the place of English in Real Universities, and ideas of the canon, and literature (or "literature") and ...

Not really my scene.  Back to you, me dook.

Do  your own bloody homework!

Robin