Tim:

"Of course the two forms of the poems are going to be received differently but that doesn't tell us anything different than if one form of the poem was shouted while the other was whispered, or one was printed in multiple colours and one wasn't."

Category mistake.  What you describe above is a single thing manifested in two different ways.

In the example you, of course it's possible to say both that the two things, the poem shouted and the poem mumbled, are the same thing, The Poem.

Equally true to say that The-Poem-Shouted isn't the same thing as The-Poem-Mumbled, and the difference between the two is important.

That, as far as I can make out, wasn't actually Jamie's point.  A-set-of-words-with-music may or may not be be the same thing as A-set-of-words-without-music, and the distinction may or may not be important, but if that's the point of Jamie's that you are trying to engage with, you picked the wrong example to use.

At one point in the course of this thread, when I was trying to remind myself that there was a world elsewhere, I found a YouTube video (I know I said this before, but as no one was apparently listening, I'll say it again) of the original performance of "Seven Spanish Angels".  After watching it, I went over and looked at the words on the screen, to see what they looked like again, reread in the light of what I'd just been watching.

Now, as far as I can make out as to what you're getting at, you seem to be telling me that there's no difference between watching a blind black blues pianist and a white folk guitarist play, and sing, for the first time, a song [sic] that they composed together, that, and the bare experience of reading a set of words on the page.

That I'm simply experiencing the same thing ...  That the two things, in this case, don't interact ... That the medium doesn't matter ... That it's just "playing with words" (and whose playing would that be referring to -- mine, or Ray Charles and Willie Nelson's?)  ...

All I can say is, Who am I supposed to believe -- you or my lying eyes?

Robin