Jamie, I am not arguing against what you call 'the autonomy of the form'. I recognise that there is an aesthetic pursuit, one which I partake in, which deals with and limits itself to the words on the page (yes, with the knowledge that the same may be voiced and so change in character, but that's a by-and-by). And I've defended the right of that autonomy in the face of people who think that such an activity is outmoded etc. But that autonomy is a choice that refers to its own limit or boundary (e.g. a classic haiku), but it is not the be-and-end-all of the art activity, it is simply an example, a particular demonstration.

You might have noticed that I haven't got into any of the discussion with regard to the history of poetry and song etc. One reason is that the level of detail is beyond my knowledge but the main reason is that I don't need to. For me the differences and the likenesses between what people call poetry and what people call song have been amply demonstrated to me by my own experience. The conclusion I have come to from this experience is that the power of the lyric content maintains its autonomy, its distinction, within the context, which in this issue means the music frame and its performance.

Cheers

Tim