Kind of you to say that Robin, but I'm troubled that a lot of my attempts to articulate these differences have been too plodding and lengthy. For earlier examples of what I've been calling 'separation' we could obviously look to Chaucer whose poems very much rely on the speaking voice, as do Villon's in French, and I share your view that for Wyatt the lute's merely a prop. I'm not sure I even want to hear anyone sing ''They flee from me...' or 'My galley charged with forgetfulness'. No, I definitely don't!
   My whole argument has been that for poetry, musical accompaniment is not an addition but a diminution, for reasons to do with what's inherent to poetry - rhythm, enjambment etc.
  However I understand the counter-argument which Tim put earlier: that Dylan's words get into your head via the music but they stay there as poetry. In support of that view, which I've been downplaying, Joan Manuel Serrat's musical versions of Antonio Machado are a powerful instance, as For us Van Morrison's 'Raglan Road' is.
    You can find most of Serrat's Machado on youtube via the two names and the various poem titles - Las Moscas (which is brilliant), Retrato and A un olmo seco (less so but I find with them the music strident if not pompous) and so on. Serrat's love of the poems comes through in every case and he has a strong sense of Machado's line though the enjambments are obviously weakened. A Spanish friend explained how these popular versions introduced Machado to a whole new generation, to people of every class, to old and young. Another one worth seeing the listen is his 1974 version of La Saeta - not the far later version which sounds garish to me. The 'saeta' is an Andalucian popular song form anyway which Machado's poem re-enacts, with a genuine example in the epigraph, so it seems fair enough to render back unto Song what is Song's.
    They're not the poems but they are the words, and I wouldn't want to deny the value of that.
Jamie