Don't agree Sean... Here is what I just wrote on fb...
Regarding Dylan and the Nobel. I'm for it. I'm pleased by it. The Nobel Lit prize is not something I've ever taken much notice of - I have no idea who won the last one for example. Some of the winners are writers who I like a lot while others are ones that do nothing for me - but that's the way it is. Same for Dylan. Apart from the silly controversy about giving it to a singer-songwriter there are many people who don't like Dylan and never have, so I can understand their objection, fair enough. The stuff that says it should have gone to better writers (whatever that means) can always be said, whoever wins, so again, fair enough, but beyond that I see no reason why the man should not deserve it. My own take on Dylan is endlessly complicated, as it would be for someone who was so important to me as a young listener and writer but who went on to do his own thing and and produce so much - some of it incredible and some of it bordering on the pretty bad. By 'his own thing' I mean that his developing engagement with the world, culturally and politically and philosophically, was far distant from my own, but I always respected that and understood it. So yes, I'm pleased. In some ways it seems to be a personal vindication, as though the prize was being awarded to all of us who were influenced by the man and at some point in his long career have loved his work, etc

Cheers

Tim A.