Why are you listing my friends? (imagine an emoticon). We could add a bunch moire names. I think one place we differ is in our assessment of the young. "It is only natural that young wannabe poets look to their just-elders, living poets for inspiration first & only in a second or third moment (if they are serious about their art) start looking at the tradition(s)." I think that's a real change. The young poets I knew as a young poet (Pierre included, and Chuck Stein was a HS friend. Also the more conservative bunch at Hopkins) read everything they could get their hands on, and that was initially older and dead poets. The change is likely partly explained by the collapse of the American educational system.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pierre Joris <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Oct 20, 2016 12:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Britain vs. U.S. Poetry war

Have to agree with Mark here. Kent’s blanket condemnation was over the top. I agree that creative writing programs (as separated from English departments) are much to blame for historical ignorance, though it is only natural that young wannabe poets look to their just-elders, living poets for inspiration first & only in a second or third moment (if they are serious about their art) start looking at the tradition(s).

As Mark says, the language poetas are not to blame here — most of the ones I know are very knowledgeable when it comes to the older traditions. Many others of our contemporaries should be mentioned too: quickly: Robert Kelly is one of the best-read poets I know (check out his write-through of Shelley’ Montblanc, among many other works), the same goes for the likes of Gerrit Lansing, Anne Waldmann, Jerome Rothenberg, George Economou, Ed Sanders, both Howe sisters, Chuck Stein, Don Byrd, among those I know personally well enough to make such a judgment.

Pierre