Speaking of the tradition:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/19/gun-with-which-verlaine-shot-rimbaud-up-for-auction?CMP=share_btn_fb

>>> Tim Allen <[log in to unmask]> 10/20/16 9:50 AM >>>
It was in a post of yours a some months back, re 'novelty' and American poetry.

I don't know enough about it to know if you are right about American attitudes to British poetry in general, it's just that I have not seen it myself. To my mind quite a few avant Americans have always been pretty enthusiastic about avant Brits, they have certainly given the sort of notice and attention to poets such as O'Sullivan and Raworth that were never forthcoming here in their homeland, apart from the then small Brit avant community etc.

I've always been interested in the differences between the Americans and the Brits but never from any sense of national ownership - I don't give two figs where anybody comes from.

I would also have thought that, purely for reasons of access and availability, a while back it was a lot easier for us to pick up on American poets than for them to pick up on ours.

Cheers

Tim