Peter, for you now, then, is Edward Thomas, say, a better poet than
Pound?
Kent

>>> Peter Riley <[log in to unmask]> 10/19/16 1:21 PM >>>
I didn't of course (Kent) claim that the Shakespeare controversy was an
American affair, I said the tone of it, the militancy, a particular kind
of militancy which can get vehement, a sectarian militancy, container
villages in the desert. On a subject like identity politics you are
strongly spoken but with a righteousness which you are entitled to.

I think (Jaime) my focus was on a world-saving vehemence in American
poetry of an older set, my own generation.  Certainly whenever I've got
directly involved with American poets I've almost always come up against
an indifference to contemporary British poetry on the grounds of its
instant obsolescence plus of course that the messianic excitement of
people like Olson is virtually unknown over here or restricted to hippie
settlements in the northern hills, and in a very different mode.  In my
review of Nancy Gaffield, if you've seen it, I spoke of a holding back
from a full commitment to an Olsonian belief which has been taken very
seriously, and such indeed is my own career. I think I'd view your own
work in a similar light.

It is all like picking up the pieces from world-saving machines which
went off the rails. Indeed it looks like in many departments, including
the English economy, poetics, and the world itself, mopping up is what
is left for us to do, indefinitely..

Peter