Almost everything we post in the red front-page box is satirical in nature.
Elsewhere at the site, we have posted quite a bit of material, some of it satire, some of it perfectly straight, on the cozy relationship (publication, lectures, readings, conferences) a group of U.S. "radical" poets has with official organs of the Chinese state, including its soft-power international cultural arm, the Confucius Institute. We have asked how on earth supposedly progressive North American poets can carry out this relationship without offering a single public statement of alarm or protest over the fate of persecuted and imprisoned fellow writers, artists, and intellectuals in China.
We have received no response from the poets in question, of course.
So some of our satire has become quite pointed, I guess you could say.
England has its own group of radical poets who have quite pleasant ties to China. And those in it seem pretty silent on the above problem, too.
Kent

>>> "Van Den Beukel, Karlien" <[log in to unmask]> 10/04/16 2:32 PM >>>
There may be a grain of fact in it, though.

The 'Confucius Institute' attached to my university offers scholarships to study in China, for four weeks or a semester or even a year. The scholarship covers sightseeing, in-country transport, accommodation, and yes, it is sponsored by the Chinese government.

http://lsbu-confucius.london/courses/scholarships-to-china/

The entry requirement, however, is just passing an exam in very basic Mandarin: HSK I or II. The scholarships are open to all study disciplines.

At our University - a big provider for NHS healthcare professionals - the interest is in reflexive clinical therapies eg. the Faculty of Health offers a Bsc in Chinese Medicine: Acupuncture.

Karlien van den Beukel