Thanks Jamie - Yes, that about sums up my view. I was happy Dylan won, because I love his records,  and happy not only for whom but what the award celebrated: song, proletarian art, broad popularity, commercial art,  for instance.

But, David, the main point I really wanted to make , God knows why, was to defend the Nobel committee's choices in general in recent years. It's evident that they've chosen a formidably diverse range not only of authors but types of literary achievement.  Many are far from popular. Many are likely to challenge narrow notions of  literature.  The choice of Dylan contributes to that diversity.