Dispatch #25 – scholarship, poetry, and the politics of vision
A little restrained rant on Prynne's Olson/Creeley dis, Blaser's
happiness, Clarke's "holding on and letting go", and Olson's  vision –

http://dispatchespoetry.com/articles/dispatches/2016/10
Child Rape and the Avant Poetry / China Question
An astounding POV special, Hooligan Sparrow, directed by Nanfu Wang,
premiered on PBS last night, October 17. It should be viewed by any poet
considering accepting official invitation and sponsorship from the
Chinese police state. The documentary concerns the rape of various
students by their elementary school principal and of an unbelievably
courageous group of mainly women protesters demanding justice for the
girls. The documentary makes clear that this is not an isolated case--as
the film explains (and as the fate of the protesters makes clear), there
is a culture of child-rape tolerance among government officials in
China, in which circles the practice is apparently not rare. The
protesters have braved persecution and outright terror and violence by
government agents, thugs, and cops for merely conducting peaceful
protest. Most of the leading activists are now in prison. Poets may want
to consider if it is proper to continue traveling (without speaking out)
to a state that persecutes women who demand justice for the victims of
child rape and their families.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/hooligansparrow/

–Dispatches

>>> Tim Allen <[log in to unmask]>
10/18/2016 10:40 AM >>>
well if people are enthused by the question then it obviously has
importance for them, or is it the other way around? I think it's
'interesting' while having no great interest in it being true or not, if
you see what I mean. Personally I think Shakespear was a time
traveller.