Really I shouldn't have said that, not because it isn't true, for it
is in its way, but because I live in a tall house in West Yorkshire
and have no business sending brickbats (what exactly is a brickbat?)
across the Atlantic Ocean into a thought-climate of which I am
increasingly ignorant.

I feel your Shakespeare authorship campaign, Kent, is very much an
American affair. Its tone reveals it as an American protest against so
much "convention", "authority", "tradition", outdatedness etc. (you
haven't used all those words) -- all the things that British poetry
has constantly been accused of from over there, and still is.  The
idea of being behind.  I find that over here we live, poetically, very
happily with behindness and all those other things in one way or
another. American advancedness has caused more poetical messes than I
can count, such as the desperate failures which are The Cantos and
Maximus.

"insulted" figuratively,  as demeaned, brought discussion of down to
point-making concerning checkable facts which never get checked. In
this "debate" for every six points on side there are half a dozen
counter-points on the other side. This is far too much like the way
the media report politics.  It is best not to get involved in it, for
it will never resolve itself. Shakes IS so special that I too would
like to know who he "really" was, but I never shall. I accept the
tradition. And that's because the works are all we have, and for me
that is plenty.  It's not even true that the Sonnets show him to have
been bisexual.  We are stuck with poetry.

Peter