Some Black History events at The National Archives in November.

----------------------------

Guy Grannum

Interim Head of Systems Development Department
The National Archives, Kew, Surrey, TW9 4DU, UK
tel: +44(0)208 876 3444 x 2307

url: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

The National Archives presents:

Email banner

BLACK BRITISH POLITICS AND THE ANTI-APARTHEID STRUGGLE

free talk

4 November, 14:00

The Apartheid regime saw the formation of black communities in both Britain and South Africa which came together to display solidarity in the face of discrimination and highly charged racial tensions. Join us as we discuss original documents which record the history and racial politics of the apartheid era.

DORCAS STORIES: ARCHIVES, SPACES, MEMORIES AND MAKING

free talk

£5 creative workshop

12 November, 12:00

Goldsmiths Design lecturer Rose Sinclair will discuss the history of Dorcas societies - safe spaces where Caribbean women would share ‘church’ and textile expertise. This talk will be followed by a craft session with Rose, where participants will examine textiles in our collections.

CARIBBEAN FAMILY HISTORY DAY

free day of talks

26 November, 12:00

Learn how to research your Caribbean ancestors with this day of talks and workshops. Speakers include Selena Carty on case studies of Caribbean family history, Steve Martin on the 1919 race riots, and Guy Grannum on Caribbean migration to the UK.

BLACK BRITISH HISTORY

£10 hands on history

29 November, 14:00

In this workshop, you will explore a range of original documents we hold relating to black British history. We will be reflecting specifically on a series of key moments, including the 1919 race riots that occurred in the wake of the First World War, the docking of the Empire Windrush in 1948, and the founding of the Notting Hill Carnival.

National Archives Disclaimer

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the
individual(s) to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient and
have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the email.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do
not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor
endorsed by it.