Free postage to UK customers

We hope the following title will be of interest to you.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75
Scandalize My Name

Black Feminist Practice and the Making of Black Social Life

Terrion L. Williamson

      "Scandalize My Name is a rare work that manages to enter the field of
black feminist theory and articulate something truly new, something that
builds in thoughtful and rigorous ways upon the work that has come before
but also advances the field of critical inquiry that we call “black
feminism” in a profound (rather than incremental) way. Williamson’s
theoretical elaboration of the concept of “black social life” - as a
response and antidote to black “social death” theory and as a means of
exposing and circumventing the constraints of stereotype that shape
respectability discourse and other common critical rhetorics that structure
black feminist analysis--is incredibly important.” - Candice Jenkins,
University of Illinois

      "Scandalize My Name is beautifully written and compellingly argued.
Moving deftly between personal narrative, media analysis, and literary
criticism, Williamson makes a major contribution to black studies, media
studies, and feminist and gender studies. The questions she raises are ones
scholars will take up for generations to come." - C. Riley Snorton, author
of Nobody is Supposed to Know: Black Sexuality on the Down Low

From sapphire, mammy, and jezebel, to the angry black woman, baby mama, and
nappy-headed ho, black female iconography has had a long and tortured
history in public culture. The telling of this history has long occupied the
work of black female theorists — much of which has been foundational in
situating black women within the matrix of sociopolitical thought and
practice in the United States. Scandalize My Name builds upon the rich
tradition of this work while approaching the study of black female
representation as an opening onto a critical contemplation of the vagaries
of black social life. It makes a case for a radical black subject-position
that structures and is structured by an intramural social order that revels
in the underside of the stereotype and ultimately destabilizes the very
notion of “civil society.”

At turns memoir, sociological inquiry, literary analysis, and cultural
critique, Scandalize My Name explores topics as varied as serial murder,
reality television, Christian evangelism, teenage pregnancy, and the work of
Toni Morrison to advance black feminist practice as a mode through which
black sociality is both theorized and made material.

Terrion L. Williamson is Assistant Professor of English and African American
and African Studies at Michigan State University.

Fordham University Press

Commonalities

September 2016 256pp 8 b/w illustrations 9780823274734 PB £20.99 now only
£16.79* when you quote CSL1016SMNL when you order

 <http://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/scandalize-my-name>
http://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/scandalize-my-name

UK Postage and Packing FREE, Europe £4.50, RoW £4.99

(PLEASE QUOTE REF NUMBER: CSL1016SMNL** for discount)

To order a copy please contact Marston on +44(0)1235 465500 or email

or visit our website:

 <http://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/> http://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/

where you can also receive your discount

 *Price subject to change.

 **Offer excludes the USA, South America and Australia.

 Follow us on Twitter  <http://twitter.com/#!/CAP_Ltd> @CAP_Ltd or Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Combined-Academic-Publishers/196269570500>
Combined Academic Publishers

  <http://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/content/34-subscribe-to-our-newsletter>
Sign up to our newsletter email alerts here