*** apologies for cross-postings ***

Dear all,

Our Graduate School Human Development in Landscapes invites papers for the next International Open Workshop "Socio-Environmental Dynamics over the Last 12,000 Years: The Creation of Landscapes V" which takes place in
March 20-24, 2017 at Leibnizstr. 1, 24118 Kiel, Germany.

Paper submissions are welcome for all 19 envisaged sessions - submission deadline: November 30, 2016.
You find a session list in the attached flyer/poster. More information is available on the workshop website: www.workshop-gshdl.uni-kiel.de

In particular I would like to direct your attention to Session 1: "How is life? Living conditions in Europe in the 2nd and 1st millennia BC":

Just after publishing the last workshop the next workshop is already in line. We like to continue our questions on social and environmental interaction during the European Bronze Age like we did with "Collapse and Continuity" and the "Third Food Revolution - Setting the Bronze Age Table". This time humans and their living conditions are central subject of our session:

Drawing upon the great depth of knowledge on Bronze and Early Iron Age societies and their environments, this session aims to focus on living conditions and the practices of daily life. Existent research has shown that there are not only new developments during these periods in metalworking, social structure, production, nutrition and diet, but also the networks in Europe were intensified and human impact on the environment changed in character. What influence do these changes have on human daily life? In order to investigate living conditions we need to gain knowledge about hygiene, health, diet, waste and water management and their interrelation with different environmental settings. Which proxies can be used to study such topics? We invite contributions from the fields of material culture, physical anthropology, aDNA, archaeobotany (including NPPs and phytoliths), archaeozoology, soil science, archaeometrics (including XRF and other chemical analyses), palaeoentomology, stable isotopes, and many more. We are especially interested in discussing the following aspects:

and Session 7: "Quantitative approaches as basis for simulation of prehistoric economy and environment"

What are the limiting factors for population growth and landscape transformation in prehistoric times? How do our ideas of prehistoric nutrition and workload fit into models of socio-environmental developments?
The reconstruction of prehistoric living conditions, with respect to economy as well as to ecology, is a task of many disciplines. The workshop session aims at an exchange of concepts, ideas and results from archaeology, archaeobotany, zooarchaeology and palaeo-environmental research with respect to quantitative reconstruction of matter fluxes. Quantitative data enable for a simulation of economic and ecological dependencies to test hypotheses and to raise new questions. This session is organized by the ‘Quantification of socio-environmental developments’ Group of the Johanna-Mestorf-Academy which aims to develop a matter flux model and apply it to Oldenburger Graben, Northern Germany.

Looking forward to seeing you in Kiel!

Wiebke Kirleis

--
Prof. Dr. Wiebke Kirleis
Umweltarchäologie/Archäobotanik

Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Strasse 2-6 | D-24118 Kiel | Germany

Telefon: 0049 (0)431/880-3173
Fax: 0049 (0)431/880-7300

www.ufg.uni-kiel.de/

--
Graduate School "Human Development in Landscapes"
www.gshdl.uni-kiel.de/

--
"Advances in Archaeobotany"
www.archaeobotany.eu/