Favourite memory of Don from early 1970's at Institute of Archaeology was a class visit to BMNH with Don driving departmental Land Rover. The indicators failed in London traffic so at the shout "left" all those on the left side stuck their arms out of the windows and similarly for "right". He was an inspirational undergraduate teacher and I was privileged to have Don as PhD external examiner many years later.

Louisa Gidney

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Salima Ikram [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 28 September 2016 22:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Don Brothwell

Awfully, awfully sad news.
He was a charming and delightful and kind man

Salima Ikram
Distinguished University Professor
Egyptology Unit Head
Department of Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology and Egyptology
American University in Cairo
AUC Avenue, PO Box 74
New Cairo 11835
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]
tel: 20-2-2615-1840; fax: 20-2-2797-4903

On 28 Sep 2016, at 18:51, Umberto Albarella <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Zooarchers,

I have just heard news that make me immensely sad and I know I will be joined in that feeling by many of you.

Don Brothwell has died.

He was great man - kind, generous, visionary and a truly intellectual. His contribution to archaeology has been gigantic.

Please do write your thoughts and tributes on this list.

Thanks,
Umberto

--
Umberto Albarella
Department of Archaeology

"That's the standard technique of privatization: defund, make sure things don't work, people get angry, you hand it over to private capital" Noam Chomsky