Tragedy and great loss, "bible" in research of paleaopathology was his book "Animal diseases in Arheology"

My condolences to the family,

Oliver

On 28.9.2016 20:03, Haskel Greenfield wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

What a tragedy. He was a great and kind man, both on a scholarly and personal level. I had read his work for years and it was a model for my own research and publications.

My family and I have very fond memories of his visit to our home in Winnipeg many years ago. He had arrived in town to visit another colleague and called us out of the blue. He came over, had dinner with the family (all six of us), spent time talking to each family member no matter how old (or cranky) they were at the time, asking about their dreams, desires and goals. We spent time together after dinner talking about his work at Jewbury, the York Medieval Jewish graveyard that he analysed many years and the issues that he encountered while balancing the demands of scientific inquiry and Jewish religious observances of the dead. His depth of understanding and compassion were far beyond what I have often encountered among colleagues. When he returned home, he sent me a copy of the Jewbury report with a personal note inside. I still have it and value it, as I will his memory.

He was a giant amongst us and will be missed.

Please convey my condolences to the family.

Sincerely

Haskel

Haskel Greenfield

Distinguished Professor