The Data, Skills and Training research group at CMIST, University of Manchester, has a focus on statistical literacy. We are delighted to have two renowned speakers for our next research seminar.

The seminar is free to attend and tea and coffee will be provided at the start. No booking is required just turn up on the day.

Teaching statistics to non-statisticians

Tuesday 27 September, 14.00 – 15.30
Hanson Room, Humanities Bridgeford Street, University of Manchester

14.00    A socio-public health data-based introductory statistics course
            Professor Murray Aitkin, The University of Melbourne

14.30    Statistics anxiety: Pedagogical problem or convenient excuse?
Professor John MacInnes, University of Edinburgh
I review some of the literature on Stats anxiety and look at some evidence from pilots for a new study, and argue that 'anxiety' as a function of learning may just be about how difficult students find statistical thinking. This implies that we need to be careful to present statistical ideas in accessible ways that privilege the relevance of what students learn to the rest of their degree programme. It also implies that the latter has to change too: especially by paying more attention to empirical evidence and its essentially statistical roots.

15.00    Discussion

15.30    Close