Hi John,
  Thanks for the clarification.  So really I should apply the forward warp (AnattoMNI) to my tissue segmentation probability maps and then calculate my determinant from the MNItoAnat transform.  I would the multiply my warped tissue probability GM map with the determinant.  Is this correct?

The issue I had with my Tissue probability maps was that the Globus pallidus and some subcortical nuclei in the brainstem (substantia nigra etc) are misclassified as white matter.  For this reason I was interested in applying a gray matter mask to the warped T1 to do a VBM analysis of the signal as opposed to tissue probability map.  I take it from your response though that this would not be a valid approach.

Thanks,
Ajay