Your steps are correct, in that specifically you can regard the peak voxel as having survived small volume correction.

My complaint was with the SVC procedure in general because of the problem that you can't say anything about the rest of the voxels in the cluster because you only know that they survived the initial threshold. You can also do clusterwise inference in the small volume from the cluster p-value columns, though as it has been shown a lenient initial threshold there is inappropriate.

I wasn't suggesting an explicit mask before the analysis, but rather at the time of viewing results you can specify a mask to restrict your search volume. I believe it's the first or second prompt after selecting a contrast to view if you're using the SPM GUI.

-Mike