Hi, Sarah,

No worries - I've done the same myself. Regarding your question, both Robin & Laurence offer good resources that will provide more comprehensive overviews than my brief response: It depends!

Best,
Amy

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Sarah Stewart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 I realise that I have accidentally posted to the list - obviously sending emails to the right address is a necessary skill for a post such as this! Apologies!

In general, though, I would be curious to find out more about what the research data management landscape is currently like in the U.S. and Canada? What types of service provision is available in institutions, for example, and is there a more embedded analytical approach to research data support being taken (eg. directly assisting with subject-based analysis and publication of data), or is it more general, with promotion of best practices in data and software management, for instance?

Many Thanks and Kind Regards,

Sarah

From: Sarah Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 24 September 2016 21:24
To: Research Data Management discussion list
Subject: Re: Job Opportunity: Research Support & Data Services Librarian, Columbia University

Dear Amy,

I am currently employed as a Research Data Support Assistant at Imperial College London, where I assist researchers in managing research data and software for sciences, medicine and engineering across the university. I am interested in furthering my career with the goal of becoming a Research Support and Data Services Librarian, but am wondering what other skills and experience might be required in order to do this? I see that this position requires a knowledge of data analysis software such as R, SPSS and Stata. I have a background in the biological sciences, where I was a researcher in algal systematics and marine genomics, and have used this software for statistical analysis, but wonder what other skills may be needed?

I do not think that I have the required experience to apply for this post at present, but would be interested in learning more about the role and about research data support services at Columbia University more generally.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards,

Sarah Stewart

Sarah A. Stewart, B.Sc. Hons., M.Sc., M.Sc. (Lib), FLS