Better delayed than not at all though, no? Especially since the prevalence of most childhood diseases is now very low because of good vaccination rates. My understanding is that lots of infant vaccinations are given at once because of the risk of reduced uptake by distressed parents. Most vaccinations have at least a six month window for boosters despite the standard one month recall. (I know this as my daughter's were delayed due to ill health then lack or appointments so we checked this on the data sheets). Six months is a long time for an infant.

And thanks Ben for your comment, that's kind. :) Sorry it was wordy! I've had seven years to mull on my opinion!

Pam

---- Kat Day wrote ----

Hm. I agree with a lot of that, except... delayed vaccination schedules are risky, and aren't really something to be encouraged. It means more unpleasant experiences for the child. There's a greater chance of missing an appointment for some reason. But most importantly of all, it puts the child at more risk of more diseases (in the periods between vaccinations), which in turn reduces herd immunity and puts more children at more risk. Most vaccines are something like 85-95% effective. This means that in a school of, say, 1000 vaccinated pupils, the vaccine might not have worked for maybe 100 or so of them. Bring a child with an infectious disease into that mix, because they're unvaccinated or have delayed their vaccine and subsequently caught the disease, and those 100 are put at risk. This is why schools are keen to insist on vaccinations.

Kat