Dear David,

Just a quick note to make a short and reasonable point. I am not asking that you participate at length. I am asking you to substantiate a specific claim you made in your reply to my post: the notion that I took a “narrow administrative view” constituting “an artefact of the administrative educational environment from which it originated.”

It seemed to me that you launched your statement without reading what I had said or examining that one simple page to which I referred. Since what I said was essentially equivalent to what Mike said, it made no sense to me that you agreed with Mike and disagreed with me. But it was the specific nature of your rebuff that laid me low.

If you had accused me of something less horrifying, it would not have bugged me so much. For example, you could have said that my position on research was an artefact of the fact I am a zombie who had eaten the brains of dead physicists, replicating their ideas much as cannibals acquired kuru by eating the brains of the dead.

You could have said that a werewolf had bitten me, leaving me with a research viewpoint that would doubtless wax and wane with the phases of the moon.

But to say that I had been infected by a “narrow administrative view” ... the shame of it! The ignominy!

And now, you must excuse me. It’s time to shave my palms and prepare a garlic smoothie for breakfast. There has been an outbreak of vampirism in our neighborhood, and I hope to avoid exsanguination.

My mind has been affected by last year's zombie plague. Things got worse due to an unfortunate daytime attack by a werewolf in the 12th-century cemetery 50 meters from my front door. With vampires patrolling the streets, I am concerned.

None of these plagues is as frightening as “the administrative educational environment” and nothing horrifies me as much as the accusation that I take a “narrow administrative view.”

Warm wishes,

Ken

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 10:06:10 +1000, David Sless <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear Ken,
>
>I wish I had more time! One of the reasons (though not the only one) that I mentioned my prior contributions to the list, was because I am pushed for time. I have three project deadlines and one paper deadline staring down at me. Much as I would love to contribute to this ongoing and important thread at this moment, the moment will have to pass. No doubt there will be other occasions!
>
>David

--snip--

>> It may be that I did take a “narrow administrative view” that is “an artefact of the administrative educational environment from which it originated.” If David can show that my position is indeed narrow and administrative, he should do so. I often agree with David, and I’m not disagreeing here except to ask for a demonstration.

--snip--