On 26 September 2016 at 20:31, Stanislav Roudavski <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > we need to be wary of regarding the word design as meaning the same
> thing in the past as it means now
>

> Oxford English Dictionary | Historical Thesaurus
>
> Showing 1-27 of 27 results for "design" found in 27 thesaurus classes.
>
>         the external world > abstract properties > action or operation >
> ability, capacity, or power > skill or skilfulness > cunning > [noun] >
> contrivance or machination â–ºdesign (1594)

[trimmed for length]

And that's just English. Add corresponding (or at least partially
overlapping with some of the English senses) terms from other languages,
and the fun really starts.

\V/_  /fas

*Prof. Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.*
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/
ORCID: 0000-0002-3689-5112 <http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3689-5112>
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."