Scott, thanks for sharing the publication - Klaus and others might find that if you copy and paste instead of click the Return-broken link you do see the journal page at:

http://issuu.com/journalofdesignstrategies/docs/the_journal_of_design_strategies_vo?e=5521259/39002243

Are PDF versions of the articles available for use in teaching? We're discussing these issues in the early stages of our Innovation Research Methods course in the OCAD U MDes Strategic Foresight & Innovation.

The normative intent of design for civic engagement and cooperative public value realization is clearly articulated in these articles. However this is work that also requires getting into the streets and meeting halls of one's own community, the new Agoras of our time as Aleco Christakis and others have been organizing toward for a decade or two. Several conferences have been re-centering these proposals - the Relating Systems Thinking and Design (RSD5) Symposium happening here in Toronto in 3 weeks is one where we maintain an explicit track of work on public values and design for policy and democratic governance.  http://rsd5.org/  And proceedings at http://systemic-design.net/ from prior years/   At the Design Research Society Luke Feast, Sabine Juninger and I hosted a panel on leading design research in policy development, citizen co-development, and civic action. (Strongly recommend finding Lucy Kimbell's talk  https://issuu.com/erik.bohemia/docs/drs2016vol09 )

In this journal one of the contributors is involved with the RSD Symposium, Joeri van den Steenhoven has joined with RSD this year to co-produce the event with OCAD U. He's organizing a panel discussion on the Art and Craft of Policy Design with innovation lab leaders and senior public policy makers. We plan to video record the panel and have it on proceedings for the other than 300 who won't be there.

I don’t know the journal of Design Strategies (maybe it's not indexed in scholarly databases?) but in this issue, the Pelle Ehn introduction especially speaks to the history of our field in the roots of (Scandinavian) Participatory Design and its explicit emancipatory project of agency and advocacy for socio-technology design that inscribes and sustains the value preferences and decision rights of front line workers. I've been framing in the classes how much of the new movement toward co-creation in social and organizational design we're finally seeing now in the Anglo-American economies emerges as a late wave of the participatory design movement finally taking hold in the neoliberal world of managerial capitalism we (often) work within and struggle with.

For decades North American practices filtered out the political meaning from PD and borrowed its methods for user co-creation in commercial projects. We all did this, as there was little context for critiquing capitalism in the 90's "up here". Now we're seeing new modes of engagement in institutions that retrieve Robert Jungk's radically democratic intent in the original Future Workshops and the early stages of PD that Pelle Ehn and the Scandinavian tradition realized in their worlds. While we struggle to connect these new modes in today's current political economies, the strategic drivers have shifted but are still not amenable to design "empowerment."  I think Pelle is right to question what the role of design ought to be. Design practice has a history of speaking with positive idealism while serving its powerful clients well, in roles where critique is disabled. It's easy for those of us positioned in the academy, we can maintain idealism without risking our careers against the political agendas we hope to change. Public work is intensively political and the skills of political cultural innovation (as Dreyfuss and Flores) propose are not taught in design education. We don't even have good vocabularies for teasing apart the socioeconomic societal effects of so-called "disruption" or design for behavior change, whose dynamics we are currently called to serve.

I'd like to hear more discussion on the content and the directions other programs are taking with these concerns and design movements.

Peter

PETER JONES, PH.D.
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
OCAD UNIVERSITY