Ken:

I want to read Wick’s article and think about his interesting hypothesis more. Thanks for your ever abundant list of interesting authors and ideas, not least your own.

NOTE:
As one who owned a medium-sized design firm (average 12-15 employees) for 30 years I recall we seldom had trouble getting additional money for research when the project called for it: for an identity system or product for international students we might budget significantly more than 10% for research, for an annual report little or nothing for research, and while it might have cut into the design and production budgets slightly, overall it always added to the total fee (a win). As our work moved from serving corporations into serving healthcare, and now my personal work in healthcare research, the research budget IS the budget. Times have changed and the profession has moved. I like the changes.

Mike Zender
University of Cincinnati