The Mango trial reported lower costs for a caseload model of midwifery care though I seem to remember the economic modelling was criticised. But still useful to build an economic argument.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24050808

--
Sent from myMail app for Android

Wednesday, 07 September 2016, 01:40pm +01:00 from McCourt, Christine [log in to unmask]:

Dear Sophie

Look at the Birthplace in England Programme economic evaluation as it helps to illuminate for those who find it difficult how investment in midwifery-led services does increase cost effectiveness of services. The savings are often not visible to service managers as they may work across different budget headers but can be realised via reduced hospital admissions/time in hospital/theatre use/staff resource for CS/reduced need for medical care (which is more expensive than midwifery care) or in some systems better focused use of medical care to provide better quality support for the higher risk women who need it most.

Look also at the Cochrane review of midwifery led continuity models, first author Jane Sandall, as it covers the few economic evaluations that have been done. A similar pattern is evident. Not included in that review is the economic evaluation of the one-to-one midwifery scheme in London, as it was a controlled cohort study, not a trial. The detailed economic evaluation also showed a consistent pattern with other studies. A bit more investment in midwifery (enhanced grade and salary over numbers) balanced by reduced medical and inpatient and CS costs.

This is all before even trying to count the longer-term cost consequences, which would be so hard to pin down to measure.

(I can supply you a copy of the one-to-one evaluation report if wanted, as it is quite old now and is not so easy to access but it really gives the same message as found in the Sandall et al. Cochrane review.)

Christine McCourt

PhD Programme Director &

Professor of Maternal & Child Health

City University London

1 Myddelton Street

London EC1R 1UW

Tel: 0207 040 5863 (Mob: 0791 235 1476)

Twitter: @ProfMcCourt

Centre for Maternal and Child Health Research | City ...

The Centre for Maternal and Child Health Research carries out high quality research that aims to improve the health and care of women, children, families and communities.

Read more...

This email and its contents are the property of City University London. If you are not the intended recipient of this message and any attached files, please delete it. Unauthorised copying or distribution of this message, its attachments or parts thereof, is strictly prohibited unless specifically stated otherwise. Please consider the environment before printing this message.

Want to further your clinical and academic career? To find out more about City University London’s MSc Advanced Practice Midwifery programme please click here.