Hi all,

My question is about a little bit of Latin from a text by Sigebert of Gembloux ("De viris illustribus"):

He writes:

Haimo exposuit totum Paulum apostolum et apocalipsim, Ysaiam, cantica canticorum et alia; sed omnia ad omnes non perveniunt.

The first part is simple:  “Haimo [i.e. Haimo of Auxerre] explained the Apostle Paul completely, and the Apocalypse [i.e. John’s Apocalypse], the Song of Songs, and others.”

It’s the final bit that is giving me some trouble: considering that S. is providing some information about Haimo and his writings, I’m thinking of “but not all of these things [i.e. alia = other writings] have come to all people”; i.e.: not everyone has seen all these writings.

Latin is not my first (or second or third language), but most of the time this sort of stuff gives me no trouble.

Any help would be appreciated. I have been unable to find a published translation into a modern language of this text by Sigebert, but I may well be overlooking something.

Bill Schipper