Dear list members,

With apologies for repetition and cross-posting, I wanted to remind people of the deadline for the call for papers for the Political Studies Association Media and Politics Group annual conference, focused on Political Communication in an Age of Crisis and Change. Proposals should be sent to [log in to unmask] by the 19th September. The complete call is included below and is also available on our conference website: [log in to unmask]">http:[log in to unmask].

I am also very honoured to be able to announce a fantastic line up of keynote speakers who have agreed to attend the conference, which takes place on the 12th and 13th December at the London School of Economics:

Jay Blumler, University of Leeds; Rasmus Kleis Nielsen, University of Oxford; Rachel Gibson, University of Manchester; and Barbara Pfetsch, Freie Universität Berlin.

We have already received some fantastic proposals, but really want to encourage as many interesting and diverse pieces of academic work as we can, so if you have any questions about either the conference or the proposal procedure, do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Yours with best wishes, Nick

Full call for papers:

Date: Monday 12 and Tuesday 13 December 2016

Location: Department of Media and Communications, LSE

Whether we consider the continuing fallout from the global economic crash of 2008, the rise of Isis, the migration crisis, the possible future trajectory of the European Union, or the Zika virus outbreak in the Americas, to name just some examples, crisis seems to be central to modern political, economic and social life. The aim of this two-day conference is to consider the state of media and communications research in a world increasingly marked by crisis, as well as rapid methodological developments. It is also that the theme will prompt attendees to think about their work in different ways and challenge the theoretical and methodological orthodoxies of the sub-discipline.

We would encourage contributors to use the idea of crisis and change to reflect on challenges facing media and political communication research. These include (but are not limited to):

-          How have our understandings of media and politics been changed by recent political and economic crises?

-          How do researchers in media and politics deal with events that are truly global in scope?

-          How can media and politics usefully draw on and contribute to debates that span multiple disciplines?

-          How useful are theoretical paradigms we have for dealing with current events?

-          How do we reconcile media and politics research with grand historical and ideological narratives? Should we be trying to do so?

-          What do our choices as researchers do to empower and disempower particular voices?

-          Normatively, what role can media and politics research play at times of crisis?

-          The methodological challenges of researching media and politics in a changing environment.

While the main theme of this conference is crisis and change, the Media & Politics Group operates an open and inclusive policy, and papers dealing with any aspect of media and politics are welcomed, as are papers from PhD students and early career researchers. Papers may focus on areas of political communication and journalism, but can also include a broader view of the political within such areas as online media, television, cinema and media arts, both  factual and  fictional. In  addition  to  academic research, the conference will also welcome practice-based work in art, film and performance related to the area of media and politics.

More information [log in to unmask]" title="PSA 2016 - CFP">here.

Deadlines and submission process

-          Monday  19th  September  2016.  Deadline for paper submission. Please send proposals for 15 minute papers to [log in to unmask]. These should include the following: title and name, institutional affiliation and address, and email address, together with a paper title and abstract of not more than 300 words. Proposers should also indicate whether or not they are current postgraduate students

-          Early October.  Paper proposers notified of decision by conference committee. Conference registration opens.

-          Monday  5th  December. Presenters submit completed papers (maximum length: 8000 words).

-          Monday  12th  December.  Conference starts in London.

Nick Anstead

Assistant Professor, Department of Media and Communication,

[email] [log in to unmask]

[phone] 07788 413 443

[twitter] @nickanstead

[website] www.nickanstead.com