To whom it may concern,

We are currently establishing a BAFTSS Special Interest Group concerning Psychoanalysis and Film.
[This group is for current British Association of Film, Television and Screen Studies (BAFTSS) members or those looking to join the society. More information can be found here: http://baftss.org/join/]

The Psychoanalysis and Film group will be co-lead by Dr. Ben Tyrer (University of Exeter), Dr. Agnieszka Piotrowska (filmmaker, University of Bedfordshire), and myself. Tyrer and Piotrowska are co-coordinators of Psychoanalysis in Our Time, an international research initiative with the Nordic Summer University and funded by the Nordic Council of Ministers, in order to provide a psychoanalytic interrogation of social, cultural and scientific issues.  Piotrowska's edited the recent collection of essays Embodied Encounters: New approaches to psychoanalysis and cinema (Routledge, 2015) and has authored several books including Psychoanalysis and Ethics in Documentary Film (Routledge, 2014) and the upcoming Black and White: Cinema, politics and the arts in Zimbabwe (Routledge, 2017). Along with Tyrer, they co-edited Psychoanalysis and the Unrepresentable: From culture to the clinic (Routledge, 2016). Recently Tyrer's monograph was released, Out of the Past: Lacan and Film Noir (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016).  My current PhD research examines films from the Filipino American diaspora regarding the postcolonial/imperial trauma and the formations of diasporic subjectivities under the supervision of Griselda Pollock and Claudia Sternberg.

We are looking for a minimum of 15 members to meet requirements. We are lucky to have both academics and practitioners in the group. Interests of the members thus far cover (but not limited to):
- psychoanalysis,
- psychosocial studies,
- affect
- trauma
- subjectivities
- (post)memory.

We look forward to hearing from you. Please email me via [log in to unmask] to indicate interest.

Regards,

Marlo De Lara
PhD Candidate
CentreCATH,
Fine Art, History of Art, and Cultural Studies
University of Leeds
https://leeds.academia.edu/MarloDeLara