Dear All,

Following my message regarding apprentices I have had some requests to share the responses.

- I’m not linked to health libraries but in public libraries Apprentices usually do Customer Service or Business Administration.  Both are good and cover many of the skills we require in people working in libraries.

- We have had apprentices here for a number of years. The first few were studying the business and admin NVQ, but my current apprentice has completed the level 2 certificate in LAIS and is currently undertaking the level 3 diploma. A very successful appointment for me.

- We have had an apprentice working in our library for the past year, and it has worked out very well. We weren't able to have an apprentice doing a library qualification as it wasn't supported by the agency the trust uses, but he did an NVQ Level 2 in Business Admin and was a valuable asset to the team. He is not unfortunately staying on with us as he is going off to Uni (he just wanted a year out so that he could get some cash together and also so that he and his girlfriend could go off to Uni at the same time). We have just recruited our second apprentice and she started with us yesterday.
Although the NVQ isn't library based much of the work that they undertake is administrative - filing, copying, sending out information leaflets, supporting events etc so it is easy to adapt the tasks to fit the requirements of the NVQ and the assessor who comes out regularly is able to advise on what can or cannot be included, or how to alter it.

Many thanks to everyone who responded - the list has been very helpful as always!

Celia
Celia Burnett | Librarian/eLearning Facilitator Education, Training, Learning and Development | People and Organisational Development Directorate Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust
T: 01708 435000 | ext 4847
E: [log in to unmask] | W: www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk Follow us on Twitter: @BHRUT_Libraries