The West Yorkshire Textile Heritage project has joined up with the University of Creative Arts to make 2000 images available online via VADS, showing the best textile collections in West Yorkshire's museums: http://www.vads.ac.uk/collections/WYTH

The region's famous wool and worsted products are well represented, but the database also shows examples of silk, cotton and synthetic textiles, for suitings, carpets, blankets, dress fabrics and more.

The project is a partnership between Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield museums.  A new website and textile trail have also been launched that bring together information about textile collections across West Yorkshire. Together they act as a gateway to textile resources in the region: http://westyorkshiretextileheritage.org.uk

Kirklees curator, Katina Bill, said "The online database will be a superb resource for students and researchers, whilst the trail will help local people find out more about our amazing local heritage.  We also hope to bring new 'textile tourists' to West Yorkshire, who perhaps didn't realise just how much there is so to see and do here."

The project was supported by the Museums Association (MA) with an Esmee Fairbairn Foundation grant. Sally Colvin from the MA said "We were delighted to support the West Yorkshire Heritage Textile project as the partnership approach from four museum services really stood out. Textile heritage is spread right across the region so it's only right that the services should work together; the website and trail are great results from this approach."

To request VADS posters and postcards, contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>