Hi all,

I have a feeling this may be beyond the remit of this list, but I have a Thursday conundrum.

I am in the midst of a very frustrating dialogue with an academic who is desperately unhappy that he is unable to access an article from the early 1980s from a journal we only have access to from 1997. We've never had a subscription to that particular journal and due the nature of this institution backfile purchase isn't a priority. He wants it taken further; he's outraged we can't access something we had a 'subscription' to etc. etc. Needless to say I've tried to explain how it all works - again - but I've a feeling this argument won't go away.

Following a stint in a darkened room, I am wondering how much of the process of journals subscriptions/licenses/post-cancellation access/backfile issues/authorised user access/print only provision on older articles etc. etc. etc. you divulge to your users. It's something we do on a relatively basic level with heads of schools, but it isn't cascaded to other academics and on some levels I'm not sure that it particularly should.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Best wishes,

Sarah

lis-e-resources is a UKSG list - http://www.uksg.org