Dear colleagues,

A reminder that the CFP for the panel "Crossing Points & Subversion” will close on 30 September 2016.

The panel is part of the 2017 ACIS Conference (Monash Prato Centre, Italy, 4-7 July 2017), an international interdisciplinary conference hosted by the Australasian Centre for Italian Studies (ACIS) in association with the School of Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics, Monash University and the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, La Trobe University.

Many thanks,

Gregoria Manzin (La Trobe University)

Mark Nicholls (University of Melbourne)

----

2017 ACIS Conference

Scontri e incontri: the dynamics of Italian transcultural exchanges

Monash Prato Centre (Italy), 4-7 July 2017

Call for Papers for the Panel

Crossing Points & Subversion

As part of the interdisciplinary 2017 ACIS Conference Scontri e incontri (Prato, Italy 4- 7 July 2017), we call for papers that explore examples of “clashes and encounters” in the area of literary, visual and performing arts, and in connection with the theme of inhabiting, crossing, transgressing, and trespassing physical or symbolic thresholds, boundaries and borders.

Physical, geopolitical, cultural, religious, ethnic, symbolic, and socially-constructed divides have the power to reconfigure society, and polarise people into groups whose sense of identity is too often predicated upon what they do not share with other groups. Yet we can equally decide to celebrate our diversity and approach the “stranger” with a sense of interest and positive curiosity that will help us unveil shared traits rather than emphasise unsurmountable rifts.

In this panel we wish to explore examples of these kinds of divides as well as strategies that can overturn our experience of difference from an unwelcome difficulty into an unexpected potential. We seek papers on literary texts, visual texts, and/or performances that discuss, explore and subvert borders, boundaries, and the space within lines of separation.

Please send abstracts (250 words) and a bio-note (100 words) to both panel organisers by 30 September 2016:

Dr Gregoria Manzin (La Trobe University)

Dr Mark Nicholls (University of Melbourne)

Dr Gregoria Manzin | Italian Studies

School of Humanities and Social Sciences

La Trobe University | Bundoora VIC 3086

T: +61 (0)3 9479 2422 | E: [log in to unmask]

Australia CRICOS Provider 00115M

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies