Hi Mike
If the student is really stuck and can't do fieldwork, we have developed a virtual training environment we mainly use to prepare students for the field, but also have a version we use for those who can't go on fieldwork.  It's freely available online at
www.see.leeds.ac.uk/virtual-landscapes/<http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/virtual-landscapes/>
Let me know if you're interested in using this, we have a version which does not name the rock types and so can be used with your own hand specimens.
Regards
Jacqui

Dr Jacqueline Houghton
Lecturer (Teaching and Scholarship) Geological Sciences
Virtual Landscapes Project
Rm 9.159
School of Earth and Environment
University of Leeds
Leeds  LS2 9JT

Virtual Worlds
http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/virtual-landscapes/

Thanks for the suggestion. My student sent sent an email letting me know about this web page just after In got your email!

Thanks again,
Mike