Dear Mark,

Residual stress is a real phenomenon, poorly understood in Earth Science but perhaps better understood by material scientists/engineers. It is the stress approaching equilibrium in the interior of a rock or mineral, when neither normal or shear stresses are being transmitted through its surface. Crystal-plastic deformation or phase transitions are potentially responsible for the development of residual stresses in earth materials.

It can be measured directly using synchrotron x-ray radiation. It is possibly amenable to neutron diffraction analysis as well. If you achieve some reasonable results in your research it will be a very interesting result and potentially quite high impact.

For a recent study I recommend;
Chen et al., GEOLOGY, March 2015; v. 43; no. 3; p. 219–222

Also the excellent text book;
Zang & Stephansson, Stress Field of the Earth's Crust, Springer.

I'm actively working on this and am open to discussing collaborations in the field.

Regards,

Steven Micklethwaite

Assoc.Prof. School of Earth, Atmosphere and Environment,
Rm 144, 9 Rainforest Walk (Bldg 28)
Monash University
Clayton, VIC.

0428 231002