Many thanks Roy, and also Kate Riddington who came in a fraction ahead of you with the same conclusion! Problem solved. This JISCMAIL list really is a great resource for all of us to share knowledge in such a fast and constructive manner.

Matthew

From: Roy Starkey [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 23 September 2016 13:35
To: Parkes, Matthew; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Identification enquiry

Hi Matthew

This is what is known as a “Beetle Stone”. It is the silicified core of a septarian nodule where the sideritic matrix has rotted away.

They are not uncommon in the North Pennines of England – see for example my paper published jointly with Brian Young – ‘Cellular’ Quartz from Teesdale, Northern Pennines. Journal of the Russell Society (2013) page 19-24.

Cheers

Roy