Dear HLF ‘Kick the Dust’ team and GEMmers,

I love the idea of this grants programme as it targets an audience sector many heritage organisations have traditionally and wrongly shied away from as impossible to engage.  I clicked on the link as soon as it came through via the peerless Nicky Boyd – only to find that the only workshop in Scotland was already ‘sold out’ – although free, presumably?  There are five in England, but just the one in Scotland, one in Northern Ireland and one in Wales.

The Scottish one is in Edinburgh which for me up here in the Highlands means a round trip of 6 – 7 hours on a train and often an overnight stay - but this one would have been worth it.

Just a thought, lovely HLF, but couldn’t you occasionally have a workshop of this importance here in the Highlands and have everyone else in Central Scotland travel north for it, just to see what those who live and work here face every time we sign up for this kind of event?  It’s just as bad for people in the Islands - or down in Dumfries and Galloway for that matter.

Hold one here in Inverness – NTS Culloden is an excellent venue, for example - and I can guarantee you a full workshop of enthusiastic museum and heritage organisation managers, often volunteers, who might not have the resources some of the larger central museums do to travel great distances at the drop of a hat – but are just the folk who may find this audience sector a real challenge.

Apologies for, erm, kicking up rough, but I’m a bit disappointed the only workshop in Scotland has filled so fast, and I bet I’m not alone?

With all best wishes,

Verity

Verity Walker

Director