Dear Michael and Thais,

this paper pertains to a method (eddy_correct) that we have recommended against for the last three years. We believe that our current method does a quite good job at estimation movement in the presence of distortions, as can be seen for example in https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26549300 (which we didn’t write). You can also have a look at figure 7 in http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053811915009209 (which we did write).

As has been discussed earlier on the mailbase there is a particular “problem” with estimating translations in the PE-direction, so these should be treated with some caution. Our current recommendation for assessing overall movement is there for the .eddy_restricted_movement_rms. There are some explanation how to use it in the EDDY wiki pages.

Jesper

Did you acquire multiple Bval=0 scans in the course of each DTI? They'd be less distorted by eddy currents, so give you a handle on overall motion during the series.