Hi - DTIFIT uses least squares on the log-transforned signal by default (indeed using pinv).
The weighted least squares option (—wls) uses the approach suggested in http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/wol1/doi/10.1002/hbm.20076/full
No need for the user to specify “weights”.

However the user can also optionally specify a confounds file. This has been used, e.g., to diminish the effect of a once infamous artefact http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19603408

Cheers,
Saad

On 22 Sep 2016, at 16:21, Michael Knight <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

That unless you give dtifit a set of weights, I think it goes ahead with ordinary least squares.

type dtifit -h to get the help, or see the wiki page

Here's a tutorial page (one of many) on an easy approach to diffusion tensor fitting, easy to follow and implement in Matlab/Python etc. At the final step, I'm pretty certain dtifit uses the Moore-Penrose psuedo-inverse of the design matrix, not simply the inverse (inverting a design matrix is not 100% sensible).

http://www.diffusion-imaging.com/2014/04/from-diffusion-weighted-images-to.html