Hi

> 1) How is "evidence" for more complex fiber structure measured in the automated relevance determination.

Bedpostx uses a 1/x prior on the volume fractions (by default only on the fibres 2,3,etc.) This prior competes with the likelihood function (data fit) and forces the volume fraction to near zero if that doesn’t come with too much penalty in the fitting.

More details in Behrens et al. NeuroImage 2007.

> 2) If a crossing fiber exists in a voxel but has degenerated partially such that the "evidence" that this more complex model exists decreases, would residual diffusion data of this lost fiber direction contribute to the uncertainty of the primary fiber direction?

Indeed, if there is variance to be explained by an additional fibre, and if the a.r.d. kills that additional fibre, you will get higher uncertainty on the primary direction. If the a.r.d. prior works this should not happen though.

Cheers
Saad