*CALL FOR PANEL PARTICIPANTS *

*AAG 2017 - April 5-9, Boston*

*Quiet Social Movements & Everyday Life in the urban global South: *

*Towards New Geographies of Social Change*

*Susmita Rishi, University of Washington, Seattle *

*Amy Piedalue, Australia India Institute and University of Melbourne*

Popular and academic attention to social movements and activism often
hinges on visible events or actions (i.e. street protests, legal reform
efforts, organizational manifestos, etc.), and/or the efforts of
marginalized peoples to *make* *visible* forms of oppression, violence, and
suffering that continually sink beneath the surface of public attention or
action. Activism in this context refers to any activity that “aims to
engender change in people’s lives” and as an antithesis to “passivity”,
includes many kinds of activities from survival strategies and resistance
to sustained forms of collective action and social movements (Bayat, 2000).
As Koopman (2015) establishes, feminist geographers have advanced the study
of social movements and activism through a critical engagement with the
politics of everyday life. This work emphasizes the significance of “small
p” politics and the ways in which subjects’ lived experiences shape and are
shaped by power - including in intimate spaces (like the home) and through
mundane encounters with social institutions (from the family to the market
and beyond). Geographies of social movements also specifically attend to
the ways in which place and space shape processes and ‘terrains’ of
resistance (Routledge 1994). Writing in the context of social movements and
social development in the Middle East, Asef Bayat (1997, 2000) defines six
types of activism: urban mass protests, trade unionism, community activism,
social Islamism, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and quiet
encroachment. In this panel, we aim to unpack and build upon these themes
and to draw concentrated attention to *quieter* forms of social movement
and activism, which are often intentionally and carefully embedded within
place and ‘community’ and extend this analysis to the rest of the urban
global South.

Further in this panel we want to pay particularly attention to the “quiet
encroachment” type of activism and social movements where individuals,
families and communities come together to bring about change in their
everyday lives which may or may not fit into the conventional definition of
social movements. We are interested in the ways in which such movements
might demonstrate the agency and creative organizing of marginalized
actors, while simultaneously pointing to the limitations of mainstream
social and political organizing that may too easily be hijacked or co-opted
in ways that reproduce marginality and suffering. Following Roy (2015) and
Bayat (2013), amongst others, we also aim to elicit new narratives of
social change in the global South that are not limited by the application
of Western paradigms of failed states and reform-resistant societies, but
instead explore the place-based modes of everyday social and political
change operating in and through the global South.  In this regard, we also
encourage potential panelists to think of the global South as a relational
category rather than a binary term in opposition to the global North.
Rather than defining the global South as a geographical category
characterized by the location of a place on the globe (Sparke 2007), we
conceptualize the global South as a non-cohesive set of spaces marked by
historical marginalization, deprivation, and lack of access to resources,
spaces which are simultaneously characterized by innovation, ingenuity and
resistance to oppression.

This reorientation toward ‘quiet social movements’ in the urban global
South opens the field of study beyond publicly visible social movements
that follow a model of street protest and mass gathering and resistance, to
consider more closely those more intimate social change efforts happening
across cities in the global South - efforts which may be quiet and small in
scale, and focus on small incremental change in the everyday lives of the
community. While the actors in these movements might not always imagine
themselves to be part of social movements, such ‘quiet movements’ may also
be more numerous and in some cases bring about more substantive change in
people’s everyday lives.

We seek panelists who through their empirical and theoretical research and
interests can speak to the above issues, covering topics that may include,
but are not limited to:

●
​ ​
‘Quiet encroachment of the weak’ in the urban global South,

●
​ ​
‘Invisible’ everyday social change,

●
​ ​
Grassroots organizing at the margins of formal protest,

●
​
Community-based women’s organizing against intimate violence,

●
​ ​
Conflict resolution and community-based peace building work,

●
​ ​
Marginalized people’s movements,

●
​ ​
Alternative protest strategies and modes of everyday resistance,

Please send enquiries and short abstracts before 7th October, 2016 to Amy
Piedalue ([log in to unmask]) and Susmita Rishi ([log in to unmask]).  We will
create a panel of 4-6 scholars whose work intersects these questions. While
the style of format will be a panel conversation, with short presentations
(5-7 mins) by each author and then discussion, we will ask participants to
send (short) papers in advance. It is our aim to eventually curate a
special edition from the papers presented at the panel. Once we’ve selected
abstracts that will be part of the panel, we will be approaching two Urban
Geography journals with the proposal for the special edition.