Dear all,

Please find attached the second call for papers for our session at the 2017 AAG conference in Boston. We have had a very positive response to the call so far, and are therefore hoping to put on multiple sessions. If you would like to present a paper as part of this discussion, please see the details below.

Exploring the Modular, Material and Performative Politics of Security

Call for Papers

AAG 2017 Boston (April 5th-8th, 2017)

Critical geographies and security studies have led the way in dealing with the complex material entanglements and transformations that underpin and organise, but also complicate, modes of governance and security (Adey and Anderson, 2012, Aradau, 2010). Insight has been unearthed with particular efficacy, we feel, when security has been thought of as a set of practices and performances (O’Grady, 2015). Examples of such performances range from moments of interface with digital technologies; at the front line in an emergency’s wake or real-time unfolding; or at the borders between nation states. Whilst such practices might be said to hinge upon lively material objects in their execution, they must also be appreciated for their constitutive effects, whereby they bring into being new material conditions.

In organising these panels, we encourage participants to reflect upon the politics behind security practices and the ways in which these politics may be unpacked, through exploring their constitutive materialities and the new material conditions that they bring about in their performance. In this manner, we hope to examine the different ways in which security practices are configured, attending to their logics, aesthetics, temporalities and spatialities, along with the material assemblages and affective forces that rise to prominence in their performance. In so doing, we hope to call to the fore and open up the politics of dynamic material and immaterial security practices.

Submission Guidelines

To submit an an abstract, please contact one of the panel organisers. Abstracts should be no longer than 200 words and should be submitted by September 15th, 2016.

Panel Organisers:
Peter Forman (Durham University, UK)

Nat O’Grady (Southampton University, UK)
Email: n.o’[log in to unmask]<http://soton.ac.uk>

We are also considering submitting papers for inclusion within a special issue of Security Dialogue. If you wish for your paper to be considered for this, please inform the panel organisers. The recommended length for included papers is between 8000 and 10,000 words.