To follow up, This is what I use to teach to our undergrads:

Current Opinion in Chemical Biology 2002, 6:736–741

Shows a nice representation (and justification) for edge to face interactions

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Savvas Savvides
Sent: Thursday, 15 September 2016 5:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Tryptophan-Adenine interaction: T-shaped stacking?

Dear Wenhe and colleagues,

I would highly recommend the paper by Hunter, Singh, and Thornton in JMB.

(doi:10.1016/0022-2836(91)90271-7)
In particular, Figure 5 is very informative with its 'Ramachandran-like' representation of repulsive vs attractive stacking combinations.

best wishes

Savvas

----

Savvas Savvides

Professor of Structural Biology

Ghent University & VIB Inflammation Research Center

Technology Park 927, B-9052 Ghent (Zwijnaarde), Belgium
+32 (0)472 928 519 (mobile) ; +32 9 331 36 60 (office) ; Skype: savvas.savvides_skype