> On Sep 6, 2016, at 8:07 PM, WENHE ZHONG <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>  I am not very familiar with the chemistry in terms of π-stacking. So I am wondering whether it is a T-shaped stacking interaction between the aromatic rings? Any thought?

Dear Wenhe:

Please take a look at these references:

Aromatic-Aromatic Interaction: A Mechanism of Protein Structure Stabilization
S. K. Burley and G. A. Petsko
Science  Vol. 229, No. 4708 (Jul. 5, 1985), pp. 23-28

Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1695415

also, the basis in pi orbital stabilization interactions comes from this, I believe:

Symmetry, Topology and Aromaticity, M. J. Goldstein and Roald Hoffmann.  Journal of the American Chemical Society / 93:23 / November 17,1971

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7blru2u37dsfiu/67s_0.pdf

William G. Scott
Director, Program in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA

http://scottlab.ucsc.edu